Statement of Purpose.
The National Federation of Humane Societies will support existing methods or processes in our industry which have proven to be effective at delivering a particular outcome.In addition the NFHS will take an active role in promoting those best practices which multiple organizations can use for effective management and policy.
- The National Federation's niche will be in promoting industry wide initiatives that can have a substantial impact on animal welfare for a broad spectrum of agencies.
- The NFHS will garner the broadest participation by promoting voluntary practices, recognizing that each agency operates in a semi-unique environment in terms of community engagement, local politics and resource availability.The NFHS may, as it deems appropriate, support varying levels of participation through a good/better/best sliding scale.
- The NFHS will take an active leadership role in promoting key initiatives identified by members and the Best Practices and Strategic Planning committees and approved by the Board of Directors.There are some initiatives the NFHS should support where a passive, supporting role is appropriate.
- The Strategic Planning committee will monitor industry issues on an ongoing basis for new concepts to evaluate. The committee should also conduct periodic member surveys for problems and ideas.
- The Best Practices committee, with the help of members will develop a matrix to encourage voluntary participation in specific practices, monitoring and sharing progress towards implementation when multiple steps are required to achieve a desired impact.These impact matrices will be available for participating members to review and share through the NFHS' website.
- Collaboration and mentoring can be a key in successful implementation and is encouraged by the NFHS and it's member organizations.